This basil mustard salad has just four ingredients. How cool is that?
I stumbled onto this creation one day when I had a bunch of fresh basil to use up, and not much time on my hands.
And it really is an awesome way to get your daily dose of fresh veggies and greens.
I also happened to have this amazing jar of sundried capsicum mustard on hand, and I was exploring different ways of using it.
Luckily for me the flavours combined beautifully.
I love quick and easy recipes, and this raw basil mustard salad certainly fits that bill.
In fact, it’s the kind of thing you can make up on the spot for lunch at work (or at home) in less than 5 minutes.
Pick basil leaves, chop tomato, chop avocado, add mustard and mix.
It doesn’t get any simpler than that.
I learned a while back, from The Rawtarian’s ‘raw salad for lunch‘ recipe, that you can use tomato and avocado to “dress” any salad.
The juice from the tomatoes and the creaminess of the avocado quickly coat any other salad ingredients as you mix them all together with a fantastic, flavoursome layer.
So if you’re trying to cut down on oil, or you’ve run out of your favourite dressing, this is a very handy trick to have in your collection.
As a bonus, the avocado and tomato add a lovely dense and satisfying element to this (or any) salad.
But I love the simplicity of this basil mustard salad.
The tang of the mustard, the wonderful aromatics in the basil, the creaminess of the avocado and the chunks of tomato just do it for me.
And I also love the fact that I get to eat lots of fresh greens (in the form of basil) without feeling like I’m chewing my way through a paddock full of grass.
Note: I’ve never actually eaten a paddock of grass, but sometimes eating lots of fresh greens can require a ridiculous amount of jaw action, which I imagine would be a bit like chewing through a whole paddock of grass, hence my love of green smoothies as an easy way to consume lots of greens.
And in the spirit of the classic “four ingredients” recipes, this raw basil mustard salad requires a jar of something that contains more than one ingredient. Ha ha.
So off you go, go explore the gourmet food section of your favourite grocery store, and bring home a jar of fabulous mustard so you can experience this simple, delicious, hearty salad for yourself.
Basil Mustard Salad
- 1/2 bunch fresh basil
- 1 med avocado
- 1 med tomato
- 1 tbsp mustard seed preserve
- Pick basil leaves off stems and place into a large bowl.
- Chop avocado and tomato into bite-sized pieces and add to bowl.
- Add mustard and mix until everything is well combined and coated.
- Before: -
- During: 10 mins
- After: -
- Need: Chopping board, knife, bowl
- For the best experience, use the freshest organic basil you can find
- You can add more or less avocado and tomato to this salad. It really is a very forgiving recipe.
- You could use any kind of mustard or mustard-related dressing for this salad. Play with it and see what you like.
- If you’re not a big fan of mustard, you could try starting with less, or even swap it for another of your favourite gourmet preserves.
Take it further
- Have a go at making your own mustard seed dressing. Search the internet for ‘mustard seed dressing recipe’ and see if you can find one you like the look of. Then you’ll know exactly what’s in your dressing, and you can make sure it stays fully raw.
Want more great recipes like this?
Sign up for email updates and get them delivered straight to your inbox.Yes please!
Have an awesome day!
~ Nikki, Eating Vibrantly